Thursday, October 2, 2008

An inappropriate glimmer of the old Dad

We're driving down the street and he says: "There's this old man's 90th birthday, and his friends get together and send him a hooker. He answers the knock at his door, and there's this gorgeous woman who says 'I'm here to give you super sex' and he thinks for a minute and says 'I'll have the soup.' "

My Dad is King of the off color jokes. When I was younger, I would cringe when I'd hear him say to someone "have you heard the one about....?" Now, it's just nice to see flashes of who he used to be, because most of the time, he seems like a stranger. Everyday is a balancing act, a tightrope walk. For him, for us - there's no certainty or routine. He has really good days and really bad days, and days in between. 

And that's all I know for now.

1 comment:

susi said...

I love love love reading your writing. I am so sorry that your dad is the topic under these conditions. I have been praying for all of you. Seeing the pics of your baking creations is bringing back some delicious memories. You are seriously gifted in more than a few areas. Hang in there. I absolutely love the title of your blog and have mentioned it to more than a dozen others. The perfect 4 words for your situation. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Take care. Much love and prayers.
Susi Keane - now in Suffield, CT