Saturday, March 7, 2009

"Never worked so long and hard to cement a failure"

I find it interesting that nearly every doctor we see downplays new tumor growth. I'm sure it's done for Dad's (and our) benefit, but I sometimes want to shake them and say "I don't care how 'small' it is, get it the hell out of his body!" 

The MRI results showed a new tumor in the corpus collosum, 6x8 mm. It's basically between the two hemispheres, in the region that communicates one side to the other. Dr. Massey talked gamma knife and other options, but for now, she wants to hold back and see if he responds to the Tarceva. Mom was able to secure a grant that will cover about 4 months of the drug. It's a shot in the dark, as he isn't a carrier of the protein that usually yields the best results, but it's worth a try. I talked to the doctor about his decline in thought process and balance (he fell the other day, on grass, thankfully) and she was petty adamant about him using a walker. That suggestion went over like Mother's Day at an orphanage. His pride is getting in the way of his better judgment, and we worry continually about a severe fall, breaking a major bone, or - god forbid - hitting his head. I asked Dr. Massey about the possibility of the tumor causing 'phantom' pain. He's complained for months about sinus pain (x-rays showed nothing), tooth pain (again, x-rays showed nothing), and pain around his mouth. She didn't think it was causing it, but put him on Decadron just to see, and sure enough , after two doses of steroids, he seems better. Still somewhat unsteady and brain foggy, but the other odd symptoms have lessened. I'm fairly concerned that such a small tumor is already wreaking such havoc on his central nervous system. It doesn't bode well if the Tarceva doesn't do the job. 

That is where we are at now, and I am too emotionally and physically exhausted to write any more than the bare bones of what's going on. Please send an extra prayer out for my Mom, who is recovering from a diverticulitis flare up.

"And still to come, 
The worst part and you know it, 
There is a numbness, 
In your heart and it's growing."

2 comments:

Mom said...

I understand your frustration and fears~ My "oldest" brother passed Feb 1st from lung cancer...he went very peacefully....

Another brother that I have been caring for, was admitted to the hospital yesterday, he is 62, has battled Lymphoma,now has bone cancer,advanced prostate cancer, he is so weakened...physically and spiritually...they found him anemic..again..and again within 3 weeks he has had 2 units of blood...he was dehydrated even tho he drinks enough to fill a water tower....and he keeps getting UTIs....He had radiation for bone cancder that burned his colon...and was in terrific pain for at least a month, I don't know how his hesrt with stood such anguish~
..I am not sure that I can go thru another death so soon...especially this one...we are so close..its like we were twins in anothr life~

I feel the pain in your words, we can only hope for everlssting peace for them...and us....

Julie said...

I am here, and thinking of you all.