Monday, September 7, 2009

"He felt he's been left on a desolate shore, to a future he desperately wanted to flee

The first thing I woke up to yesterday morning was a text from my brother, who took the early shift with Dad. It had a photo of Dad sitting up in bed eating, and the message 'looks better!' It was a relief to walk in the room with Addie and hear him weakly call her name. She crawled up in bed with him and told him about her weekend. It was a gift to have him lucid.

His nurse said he had been in coma, which I had not realized. He is awake now, but very, very weak. Sitting up tires him out, he still 'wanders' in his mind. Mornings are best, and as the day wears on, he gets more and more exhausted and sleeps a lot. There are no real answers to why he went downhill so quickly. The best guess is just that his body is very weak from seventeen months of fighting, and he had just started radiation in conjunction with chemo. and I think it was just too much for his poor body to take. He'll be in KU for a few more days, then in an assisted care facility.

I am angry today because the facility he'll wind up in will not be of our choosing, and will most likely be a certified craphole. There are those of you out there who think our healthcare system is fine, and that healthcare is merely a privilege for those who can afford it. I pray none of you find yourselves in this position: with a terminally ill parent whom you cannot care for at home, you cannot afford to pay for care in a 'good' facility, and whose insurance barely covers the necessities. It is a terrible position to be in. Dad and I sat and listened to President Obama's speech today, and we both wept at the end, and I knew he was thinking about his own predicament, and how no help or reform will come for him. I am outraged at what a self absorbed society we have become. No one looks beyond their own needs or desires. All I can hope for is a new generation of children that are raised to think about the needs of others, and to be taught that public service is a necessity, not just something to do and put on your college transcript.

You'll pardon my bitterness. I am sleep deprived and have not eaten much since Dad was admitted. This is a really awful road to walk, long and steep, and we are but a tiny family trying to shoulder this huge responsibility. We can only take this a day at a time, and try to be there for Dad as much as we can.


That night, he dreamed of the ship in the world
It would carry his father and he
To a place they could never be found
To a place far away from this town,
A Newcastle ship without coals
They would sail to the island of souls.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I share your dismay at the health care issue and I agree with you that the next generations must harness the idea of public service to all, not just the ones with the money.

I just wrote something to your previous entry -- darn me for not reading this one first -- but I am glad to know your father has rallied back, if only a little. Addie is good medicine. :)

As always, my thoughts are with you and yours. *hug*

Matt