Friday, September 4, 2009

"But man, I wish I had a hand to hold..."

I woke up long before the alarm this morning, watching the dawn slowly creep across the darkness. I laid there in the grey morning light. Everything was different, again. This was different from that feeling when he was first diagnosed - the lurching, shocking pain in my soul, the knowledge that my Dad wouldn't survive this. I've had 17 months to adjust to that concept, and as you all know, we've been in somewhat of a holding pattern. Dad has been failing a little bit each day, but still holding his own, still responding to treatment.

Yesterday, he went to radiation as usual, he used the walker to get down the steps, he seemed as normal as he has been lately. However, something drastic changed, in a matter of a few hours of him getting home. Mom called me around 5:30 (I was bringing dinner) 'Are you on your way? He can't get out of the chair, I don't think I can get him up on my own.' I hurriedly finished making dinner and raced over. By the time I got there, she had gotten her next door neighbors to come help get him out of the chair and onto the toilet. It took two big, young, strong guys to hoist him up - he could not support any weight on his feet- and even for them, it took supreme effort to move him. Dad seemed disoriented, slightly incoherent, and terribly scared. He was having a lot of pain in his back and chest and couldn't seem to get comfortable. He quietly said 'I think you'd better call an ambulance.'

We had him transported to KU Med, and when we finally got back to see him, he looked terrible. The worst I'd seen him, ever. Pale, glassy eyed, mouth slack, totally unaware of his surroundings. Awful. He received excellent care, they were able to get his heart rate under control, and started running tests right away. They weren't able to pinpoint any real reason why he turned so quickly, no obvious signs of infection. He was admitted, and due to population overflow (full capacity at KU is in the 420s, and they were in the 480s) he was admitted to the Burn ICU. I can't even get into how surreal that experience is, that unit is as secure as Fort Knox and probably the most sterile place I've ever been in. It's been a frustrating day, trying to get someone from Oncology to come see him and get him down on that floor, because as good as those nurses are, they're not oncology nurses. When I left at 4:30, they had a bed ordered and were working on getting that in motion.

We met with Palliative Care, and that was hard. I was grateful for Mary from St. Michael's being there, she was an absolute rock and source of great calm comfort. The doctor tried to get Dad to talk about how he was feeling about being so sick, and about dying, and she said 'Are you scared about leaving the people you love?' Mom and I were crying, and he gestured at us, and with his usual wry humor 'Well, not those two, but her kids are pretty cute.' I was laughing and crying at that point. They talked about pain management, and we expressed concern about his restlessness and agitation. He cannot sit still in bed, won't let himself sleep, tries to pull out his IVs and catheter, tried to get out of bed. Even tonight, after ativan, dilaudid, and vicodin, he still couldn't settle down. He didn't sleep more than a few minutes all day, I know he has to be exhausted.

He was finally put on the Oncology Floor about seven this evening. It's nice to be off the burn unit and on a less secure floor. My hands felt like they were going to shrivel up if I washed them one more time. We're taking this a day at a time, we don't know how long Dad will be there, but it's safe to say that unless he makes a drastic, miraculous turn around (which I am not ruling out, this is my Dad we're talking about. If there's one thing I've learned in all this: don't ever count him out.) he probably won't be coming home.

I drove back to the hospital tonight as the day turned to night, and sat in his room, looking out the window at the purple sky. Everything is different now, there's no turning back from the change that's coming. I can't fight the tide. Dad thrashes in bed a fights sleep because he's afraid. Because he's fighting against the inevitable. And while I admire his strength and fortitude, I hope that when the end is finally here, that he will know that it's time to stop swimming against the tide, and to just let the waves carry him home.


The moon is nowhere almost time for the sun
The voice of the waves sound anciently young
I'm a prisoner of freedom ten toes in the sand
And man, I wish I had a hand to hold

I'm in the habit of being alone
I try hard to break it I can't on my own

I'm glad no one's here just me by the sea
I'm glad no one's here to mess it up for me
I'm glad no one's here just me by the sea
But man I wish I had a hand to hold

3 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

oh Tine. My heart is just aching through and through - for you, for your Dad, for the rest of the family. I know that feeling, when things begin to happen way too fast, all you want to do is stand up and scream and say NO, NOT YET, I'M NOT READY, HOW DID WE GET HERE? But inside, you know the score...that things are now out of your control and all you can do is be there, be strong for him, for the rest of the family, and continue to be the rock that you have been for the past 17 months. And do what you need to do to comfort yourself. Say the things you want to say to your dad, and LOVE him now, let him feel it, as he has all his life. Your father loves you so much and I am sure there is comfort for him in your strength.

My prayers are with all of you.

Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Just registering another old IABC friend in Leawood who is praying for comfort and peace for all of you. -JBS