Thursday, September 10, 2009

Three years and one month ago, I leaned over her mother's bedside and whispered to her not to worry, I would look after her children. I have remembered that promise when her Dad called and asked me to take one of them to soccer, or ballet, or football. I have tried to honor her by being a watchful eye, having an 'open door policy' with them. In those three years, I never imagined that her legacy would lead her child to look out for me.

The middle daughter is 13 going on infinity. She is far more mature than her peers. When I told her about Dad, we had a frank talk about death and dying. We talked about her Mom and what it was like at the End. She went home, then came back a few minutes later. "I want to help you after school, my Dad said it's okay. I can help you every day." I was speechless. Where gown ups cannot look me in the eye, or don't know what to say, this young girl, hardly a woman, knew what she should do. I was moved to tears, beyond grateful. All I can think is how proud her mother would be of the incredible person she has become. Life is a circle. There is always hope. Her mom lives on through her, the daughter. Life without end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know of whom you speak, but she is a wonderful person.

Christine said...

My next door neighbor died of breast cancer three years ago, she was 38 and left behind three kids. This is her middle daughter, who is amazing and very adult. It has been an honor watching all her kids grow up.