Friday, September 11, 2009

It has been yet another long, emotional, exhausting day. Dad was worse today in some ways, very restless and unable to communicate what was wrong. I think he was anxious from all the change in his life, the warp speed at which his life is spinning out of his control. I cannot fathom how it must feel to be so helpless, and to be facing the end of your life. I was finally able to leave the hospital about 2 this afternoon, and he was sleeping.

I met with Carol from Kansas City Hospice as well as the KU Coventry Rep, and I think we have a plan mostly worked out. Bringing Dad home is most definitely our only option for now, and it's a decision Mom and I feel very comfortable with. We will be able to get KC Hospice to help a few days a week, and we're hoping to hire someone here and there. We have a lot to learn about his care, and I'm a little frightened of some of it, but I'm sure that God will guide me and give me strength. And when or if it gets to be too much or he is just too sick to be home, we will have the option of him spending his final days or weeks at Hospice House. I am relieved that we won't be alone in this, that we have professionals guiding us.

Next week will be rough: my husband has to go out of town for work, and Dad will be coming home Wednesday or Thursday. I will not be shy to say I could use help with the kids next week, particularly with Addie. Anyone who would want to pick her up from kindergarten at Highlands and drop her off at KU, I would be indebted to. I think I have Wednesday covered (God Bless Sarah Reaves, Addie's favorite person in the world!) and they're out of school Tuesday, and I have a Mom who has volunteered to take Henry to soccer Tuesday evening. (thank you Nicole!) I enjoyed a fabulous meal from Diana Patterson - my husband said to me "I think you have a contender in the cooking department" and I can't believe how much better I feel after a real meal. We have a few meals coming next week, and I am deeply grateful and touched by their generosity. Thank you to those who have emailed me or messaged me on Facebook. I try to respond to everyone, but if you were overlooked, it was not intentional! Thank you for your prayers, keep the faith. We all live in hope of the Resurrection.

No comments: