Sunday, September 20, 2009

"I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping'

Last night, I dreamed I was camping with my Dad at Perry Lake. He was as I remember him, still tall, still energetic and vibrant, and we were looking for firewood as the sun was setting. We separated for awhile, and I was by myself, along the shores of the lake, watching the sun set. I went to find Dad, and he was back at the campsite, but laying on the ground, unable to move and looking like he does now. I was all alone, and I cried and yelled for someone to come help me, but there was no one. No one.

We have him home now, and we are trying to get the hang of things and establish a routine. I have learned about basic care for someone who cannot care for themselves. Mom says how well I do, how capable I am, but what she doesn't know is how terrified I am. Everyday brings new challenges, and I pray every morning that I'll have the strength and grace to deal with it all.

I am woefully behind on my thank you notes, so I need to give a shout-out to the fabulous Krissie Wiggins, for taking on my children twice in the space of two days - you're either a saint, or a glutton for punishment! I so appreciate it, really. Thank you to those of you from St. Michael's and Highlands who have offered to come over and sit with Dad, and thanks to Lisa Welker (RN) for stopping by to check on us yesterday. And lastly, my dear friend (and former babysitter) Joy Baker. She has unfortunately walked this path with her Mom six years ago, and she has been an absolute rock. I'm so grateful for her being in my life right now! Thank you all for your prayers - and meals! They are much appreciated.


If I could through myself
Set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away
See you break, break away
Into the light
And to the day

To let it go
And so to fade away
To let it go
And so fade away

I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping

3 comments:

jOoLz said...

i think i got here from stacey's blog, but i'm not sure...

i lost my mom 3 years ago to metastatic lung cancer. she died in my house, in my dining room. she was first diagnosed 9 years earlier, and somehow survived that go round (she was stage iii that time). but when it came back it was all over inside 3 months.

i feel for you and your family, and am glad that you have good people to lean on right now. taking care of someone who's in such a bad way is incredibly hard on a person. i honestly think i aged 5 years in those few months. i hope you'll find at least a few minutes a day to just be, and to get away from it and take a deep breath. it might not be easy, but it's necessary.

Katie Farkes said...

Christine,
Dave and I continue to check your blog for your wonderful updates, and we hold you and your mom and your brother in our hearts each day. Your brother Steve was so nice when he stopped by to pick up the recliner, and I sincerely hope it is helping someone rest nearby to your dad. We have other places to sit, but you need somewhere to sit with Scott right now. Our love is with you and we understand the anguish and fears, we've both been down this road with our parents.
Peace to you all,
Katie

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks